I love food. I bit obsessively so. I love to read about it, watch TV about it, write about, cook it, and of course, eat. A lot. When my friend Heather and I were traveling by train to Sicily, we met an Italian guy who offered to take us to his family’s estate for lunch. We thought that sounded lovely. And then he said, “Yes, you girls like to eat?” He looked us up and down and exclaimed, “Yes! I think so!!!” He was very puzzled why we didn’t go…
Anyway, to get back to my point, I do love to eat and read about food. One of my outlets is the Ina Garten Fanclub (also known as the Barefoot Contessa) on Facebook . It’s a roughly 90,000 international member group that share my love of food. Posts cover everything from recipe success and failures, questions about techniques, requests for meal ideas, etc.
I posed the question to the group the other day: If your significant other was a food, what would they be? And I got back some interesting responses, like these:
- “Lasagna with a glass of moscato and a nice slice of chocolate brownie loaded with nuts and chocolate chips.”
- “”He’s a salted caramel chocolate cheesecake that makes me feel good from my toes to the top of my head!!”
- “He is grumpy, so…. sour cream doughnut with black coffee. And no cream.”
- “Sausage mash with onion gravy, vegetables and a Yorkshire pudding. Not as light as he could be and occasionally a bit stodgy – but warm, comforting and reliable. Never lets you down – 34 years”
- “A big juicy cheeseburger with onion rings and a rootbeer float.”
- “Champagne with stilton and balsamic glaze on a butter crisp cracker. Champagne has a secondary fermentation after all, and stilton is well-aged before being acceptable.”
- “My husband said he is like an old sundried lemon, old and sour. I think he’s pretty sweet. We’ve been together 40 years.”
My freshly-baked, butter croissant alongside a warm café au lait sweetened with sugar says he will be home from work early tonight. I find him very comforting and soothing, just the right amount of sweetness, and exceptionally satisfying. He’s the best part of my morning, and I’m not a morning person. Can be enjoyed any time of day.
Tell me, what kind of food is your Significant Other? Comment below.